The last one. Top 10 in 2007... now let's look into the future

When I look back 2007, apparently there were a few things deserved to be mentioned. As my good friends and partners, I would love to invited you again to have a walk with me for the amazing 2007.
Let us review the highlights:

10. Line-up Taiwan (Dec 2006 ~ May 2007)

9. Doulos Asia trip (March~ November)

8. Taking a role as a manager (April ~ November)

7 Leaving the ship, again, for the very last time

6 Traveling team in back to Taiwan and Hong Kong

5 Commitment issues (and the fact I am 31!)

4 Relationship with folks back home

3 Visiting States and rest (Dec 2007 ~ March 2008)

2 Future options are all open!!



so, here we go. The no. 1 of 2007 and no. 1 into 2008 is....



Starting the book(s)


"Monkeys are superior to men in this: when a monkey looks into a mirror, he sees a monkey."
Malcolm De Chazal


So I know you have been waiting for this.
And surely you may have the question:
Is that it? Writing?

Yes, unfortunately.

I had been talking about this for a while. Actually, there was a publisher in Beijing invited me to have a talk regarding this book back in 2004. They found out about me from internet, my old website (even before there was a blog or anything. cool, uhh?). The idea was always there since I started to write in school. The desire grew stronger after my personal "journey of life" in 2001. I quitted my job, left Taiwan, and went on a trip all over the States and China for almost 5 months. I got rubbed twice, slept in the basement of a church, got kicked out of an apartment on the new year's day, changed my flight to Paris for a movie… Dude, that was even before DOULOS!

Since I joined the floating United Nations, the call became clear. I might not be a good thinker who could change the world by terse words of wisdom; but I can definitely write something to make myself and others think a bit deeper. I might not be that much a charismatic speaker who could stimulate a generation to move on to the next level; but I can challenge youngsters to step out of the comfort zone as someone did to me a few years ago.

I mean, what are you going to do with all the good stories and thousands of pictures?
What am I going to deal with all the emotions after experiencing the post-war trauma, poverty, cross-cultural clash, and achieving the miraculous task?
How do I reflect and response to the poor, the lost since I had encountered the misery myself? How about the sensitive political and identity issues came along with it?

These are some of the topics I want to cover in the book. I am not writing for money or making a name of myself. However, I do want to impact more people. In OM we also believe in the literature ministry. MV DOULOS carries 6000 titles of books, CDs, and other items. There is limitation in speaking and sharing. I talked to various groups in hundreds of meetings, repeating myself often about the amazing journey. People might have 30 to 45 minutes for your stories if they are interesting. Nevertheless, if you spent one week on DOULOS, you must know there is much more in the adventure like that. One book is apparently not enough.
On the other hand, the process of writing will too help me to process and digest. That is more like a re-entry course for me. And if God's willing, it can help more people in the future in their own pilgrimage (survive 5 years oversea with strangers for dummies).




I went to a Chinese buffet after Sunday service in Rutgers's community Christian Church with my hosts. The food was tasty and we all got the "Fortune cookies" at the end of the meal. That was such a cliché for a restaurant like that. (Folks, you won't get any fortune cookies in Taiwan, Hong Kong, or China!) However, it was great fun to read my note in the cookie. "Your life becomes more and more of an adventure!" What the….
"Find a girl friend and get steady… that will be an adventure for you." Someone teased me as I showed the abashed expression.

Yeah, thanks. I am working on a book.


Hopefully, towards the end of 2008, you will hear something about the book(s). it will be in Chinese (sorry for you English readers), but with loads of pictures!

Before that, check my blogs for some love.

Comments

Ann said…
We'll be one of the first to buy the book, no matter the price.
Po said…
ahaha. wow. you're going to write a book now? i want to read it...i'm good at reading chinese. =D way beter than elijah at least...i heard you're coming in late february? oh sure. make it for elijah's birthday but not mine. T___T how mean. hahahaha. jk. jk. can't wait to see you in phoenix! =P i'll pester you all day and night long.

- Tian x 2
meimeijoyful said…
wow!!! good news!

Popular Posts