A trip to Nantou

Yesterday I drove my mini "Martiz" all the way down south to Nantou, it was an invitation from PSHS 暨大附中(http://www.pshs.ntct.edu.tw). I spoke to all the senior students who are in social studies categories.


Nantou county is at the heart of Taiwan. In 19999, this area was severely damaged and many families torn apart in the 921 earthquake. Most of the schools, including this one, were rebuilt after the incident. I was honored to be there and share my stories.

I started with this Map. A few days ago someone forwarded me this picture. It just represents the mentality of the youngsters nowadays towards the world.


We are arrogant in our own world view. No wonder we have this kind of citizens and government. I just want to remind them that how big the world is. We shouldn't frame ourselves in the box.

Many teachers were also there for the whole time. I personally think, they got more out of it than their students.




I brought my “trophy board” with me. All I can say is that each picture has its own story. I am just a storyteller doing the job.


"Who you are is more important than where you from." I said. Hoepfully, these univeristy schools gonna-be got the point.



After the class dismissed, quite a few of them stayed back for questions. Well, you know high school girls… who can say no to them?




On the way back to Taipei, I couldn’t help but thinking… what motivated me to do all this? Some of my actions were absolutely nuts. Driving 8 hours a day and just sharing with 150 high school kids, that was insanity! However, after DOULOS 5 years training, it just felt like another day in the office.

After all, I had cruised in the jungle of Tanzania, desert of Sudan, and the mountains in South Africa. And in many occasions, the audiences were not that friendly, or barely understood a sentence from my mouth.

Be thankful always. I am not doing for myself.

Comments

timbo said…
that map is so stinking funny! :) but in many ways sad.

it really shows so much of our world views and how we many times simplify this complicated world in judgmental ways.

Popular Posts