Top 10 in 2007 8. Taking a role as a manager (April ~ November)



8. Taking a role as a manager (April ~ November)

Partner ministries department has two teams – Partner relations team (Tour guides, PR people) and communication team (Multimedia, visual design, Media Relations, Photographer, and journalism)
It was never easy from the beginning. I was too young, too “single”, too Chinese, too naïve in the game, and definitely too friendly as a boss. I should be in the position since November 2006. However, I got another call to prepare the notorious Taiwan lineup. With my absence, as dramatic as it sounds, my Ex gf took over the role until she left the ship in Japan few months later. (I paid high respect to those who had learnt their lessons in broken relationships.) It didn’t turn easier for me since then. We faced another change-over phase and great demands from Asian media/publicity competition. On the other hand, I got involved in the leadership circle after 4 years in the ministry. As a PK*, I had already tasted a bit reality shock in the early stage of my life. However, to experience the struggles of decision making process, to negotiate harsh debates in between various parties, to speak loud and clear for your team and compromise when it was necessary, that was totally in another league.


Leading a team with a mixture of professionals and inexperienced local volunteers was also quite a challenge. People need to be motivated with different reasons. Sven Benseler (Germany) and his family joined DOULOS in September with Hong Kong recruits. Stepping down and handing over with Sven was a great one. He got a tremendous positive attitude towards the role. I appreciate him and the team. They made my last days on board a beautiful one.

To be continued…
(*A PK is a Pastor’s kid.)

Comments

Popular Posts