Arriving New Zealand...

Soon after our presentation Tour around Taiwan island, I flew down south to the KIWIland on the 7th of June. This is a break for me after driving myself hard last few months. Meanwhile, I really think this trip can bring a closure for me, with my other home.... DOULOS.

The ship is visiting Auckland New Zealand from the 9th of June to the 30th.

Well, the joruney wasn't that easy. Starting with the stormy weather in HongKong, I could see some lightening striking when the plane was landing. Wow... again? why I have to experience all kinds of advantures... I felt safe and sound for a few hours in the HK Interational Airport where I had a bowl of RaMei for dinner. The flight to Auckland was long but smooth. The only tech problem happened was the audio system of my section was not working. Well, i can bear that, epecially it was like 2 or 3 AM.

The landing to Auckland was nice and through the window I could see the beautiful landscape of the city. However, it was the begining of the drama. I got through the immigration within a few minutes. One question asked "what's the purpose of your visit?"
"Visiting some friends" I said. One month entrance visa was granted.

On the way out, the custom officer looked at me and asked. "Do you pack your own suitcase?" "Yes" I did!
"DO you bring any food items?" "Well, not this time." I was honest. This time i deliberately NOT bringing PineApple cake, dry pork, and other stuff. I know it is New Zealand.
He didn't believe me. "Please go this way and follow the blue line." He marked a big X and wrote a H on my declaration card. Mamamia... Jack Ku was out there waiting!

In the custom checking hall, there were a few people looked desperately lost. Their luggage were torn apart and stuff scattered on the table. NOOOOOOOO! I am not a drug dealer! I shout in my heart.

Well, it was the begining of 1 hour investigation into my belongings, and me.

"Why do you come to New Zealand all the way from Taiwan?" she asked with a coldbloodedly face.
"Visiting some friends." I tried to be calm. And I had experienced this before in the "mission possible" orientation.

Unfortunately, it wasn't good enough for her, especially after she found a pack of dry mango. "What is this?" I was stunned. There was a bag of goodies and letters for some Taiwanese DOULOIDS on board the ship. last time I checked, there was no such thing.
She was even more anxious after pulling out hundreds of DOULOS booklets from my luggage. "WHat is this?" I have to explain the whole DOULOS story/history/purpose statement to her when she looked through every item of my belongings.

And she wasn't happy. "I'd never heard about this before!"
What are the lineup people and OM NZ doing here? I cried out loud in my heart. How come the custom officer had never heard about you?

"How did you get the money to get here? Who supported you since you said you were doing volunteer work for the last 5 years?" She questioned me like I was guilty.

"it was a miracle itself! That's what we called God's work." I was honest. She didn't appreciate the humor.

After more than an hour checkin my stuff, internet, and examining my passport and records. She and her supervisor had to believe what I told her. I really don't have to lie or to build a crazy story about my life. It was REALLY weird in normal people's eyes.


"let's go out and meet your friend Jack." She still distrusted me even after I put myself (and my scattered luggage) together.

I prayed hard that Jack would still be out there waiting after an hour waiting, for nothing.

Jack was there at the gate, looked anxiously. No wonder! She asked him his address and all that. I was relieved - Jack remembered his address and answered fluently.

I have to pack my stuff again.

........................

Well, we all had a good laugh about it that evening when I was sitting at the dining table with his family. I couldn't realy enjoy the treatment from the KIWI officials. However, it was definately another great chapter of my adventure.

What a welcome party.

the awesome seaview from jack's home.

Comments

Popular Posts