Top 10 in 2007 No.3!

3. Visiting States and rest (Dec 2007 ~ March 2008)



"So where are you now?" "What are you doing nowadays?" these two are the most common questions asked when people met me on line via facebook, MSN, yahoo, or my blog. Well, I am in the wonderful promise land – United States of America. What am I doing?
Nothing. Or, I should saying "trying to do nothing". When Jerry Seinfeld came to David Letterman's "Late Show" on the 21st of March last year, he commented on what I had been doing after the top 1 show in the States. "NOTHING!" he said.
"Well, DOING NOTHING is not as easy as it looks. You have to be careful." He continued. "Because the idea of doing ANYTHING, which can easily lead to doing SOMETHING. That will cut into your NOTHING; and that will force me to have to drop EVERYTHING."

Wow, that's deep and, true.

After 5 years, 55 countries, cooking, giving tours, interviews with media, meeting strangers (and being nice), doing dramas, entertaining kids as a clown, repeating my not-so-touchy testimonies, play "history maker" video* two thousand times, I was quite ready to do absolutely nothing.
Or I rather say, reflecting.
However, there was a problem. There were too many appointments and invitations (for buffet meals mainly) from others. On top of that, my cell phone will be a killer for all the quietness I need. Well, I got invited to go to Chicago for a childhood friends' reunion at the end of 2007. I was thinking… wow, that's a great way to be away, visiting some supporters, family friends, and if I am ready, promoting the ship when opportunity comes.
That is what I am doing now. Let me tell you what I did today. I went to the Chinese supermarket and bought some grocery. And I spent 2 hours cooking with Tim's mom. Tim and Ann, my hosts, married for 4 yrs as a young couple, just have the second baby two days ago. I took pictures for the family, had a nap in the afternoon, and hanged out with the grand parents, Pastor David and Lois Su in the evening. Now, as I am preparing for sharing tomorrow (Sunday)in a Chinese church in the Queens, I can hear the baby girl crying.
That is good. I enjoy it.



I drove down to San Diego from LA by myself. I got to see a Chicago Bulls' game at the United center (Yeah, the one MJ once stepped on). I stood under the snow and sang "White Christmas". I slept over a few times and didn't feel bad at all. I had planned to go sightseeing and then decided to stay home for another movie… Well, that is as good as it gets, isn't it?



Here is a good news for you. When I tend to do nothing, I actually got to accomplish many things. I had been very productive in writing. I had time to read, to think, to breathe, and to appreciate the everyday blessing.
Don't worry. I am not much a slacker. There were still loads of things happening around and within me. I just had a different mentality, a new attitude towards my future, which I will talk about in the coming email.

To be continued

*The "history maker" is a beautiful video clip about DOULOS ministry and crew member's lives on board and projects on shore. If you are interested to watch it again, please click following link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igS3oCL8OiY
Or the new version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQXiGzG9jQ

Comments

Popular Posts