Top 10 in 2007 4. Relationship with folks back home


2007 was a year mixed with ups and downs, laughers and tears, loss and blessings. When I prepared for a testimony in New York last week, I read one of the interviews with Rick Warren (the writer of Purpose driven life). Regarding his difficult year in which his wife, Kay, getting cancer. “Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it ‘s kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life.”

“No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad needs to be worked on.

And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for.”



I am not talking to myself. I am actually sending this message to my friends.

In 2007, I spent almost half a year in Taiwan. That was the longest since 2003. However, it doesn’t mean I got to spend time with my parents, my brother, or my buddies. I was always busy. Doing lineup for the ship for the first 3 months, being the spokesperson for DOULOS in Taiwan and taking over a leader’s role, I don’t even have time for myself. November I took a team back and toured around Taiwan, soon flew to Hong Kong and back to Philippines… there was no time for whatsoever. My folks all understood dearly. That was my job, my responsibility, the price of a servant. However, I felt very sorry when I couldn’t walk with them during some ups and downs.



One of my best friends’ wife called me out of the blue (in tears) and told me she found out an affair and he apparently want a divorce. My heart was broken with her. I felt guilty since I couldn’t make it to their wedding in the first place, and now…

A mother called me one day; her son jumped over the roof and killed himself due to suffering from depression for a long time. He was a childhood friend and went to the same high school as I did. He was two years younger than me. His mom wanted me to write something in the commemorative album since I had visited him in the rehab a few years ago.

Two of my best friends got married and had babies a few months later. Two of my college class lovebirds got broke up after 8 years marathon. Another close friend turned out to be a lesbian and had been a relation for over a 3 years. Her parents are also getting a D. A full time Christian counselor told me she felt lonely in her marriage. She felt drain out every time sharing the love of Christ. Meanwhile, many beloved just walked away from the Lord, for whatever reasons…



Then one day, my parents told me they were ready to get retired and gonna sell the apartment in the coming year.



“Wow.” You may say.

“Yeah.” I shall reply.



That is life my friend. Two rails on one rail track, take it or not. I found out my journey was not that significant comparing to some of the hills and valleys my folks went through. I am overwhelmingly thankful for who I am and where I am at. I cannot sing “I will be there for you. These 5 words I swear to you…”. We all have our challenges to deal with and blessings to be thankful. Amen?



To be continued…

Comments

Po said…
ahahaha.
hi ray!! ^^
when are you coming to phoenix?!
you're going to miss my birthday at this rate!! it's in 5 days!! =P

~tian x 2 =D

Popular Posts